Monday, October 26, 2009

Essential Oil Hand Sanitizer

Monday through Friday I'm inside a huge school filled with germy children who don't wash their hands enough and rely on alcohol & chemical based hand sanitizer as a cure-all. I do my best by eating nourishing foods (raw garlic!), using a neti pot, getting plenty of sleep, and making lots of preventative herbal decoctions and infusions. Sometimes though, I need another line of defense.
A couple days ago I threw together an essential oil hand sanitizer that doesn't contain all that weird stuff that commercial hand sanitizer contains and doesn't dry out my hands with alcohol. Because many viruses are airborne I also wanted something that I could dab under my nose to help keep the air I breath as virus-free as possible.

About the essential oils:
I chose Tea Tree because it's antibacterial, antibiotic, anti-infectious, fungicidal, antiseptic, antiviral, and MORE...a powerful essential oil! Lavender is a lovely smelling stimulant that is antimicrobial and antiseptic. Lemon Eucalyptus is antibiotic, anti-infectious, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, antiviral, and bactericidal.



Essential Oil Hand Sanitizer

Store in a small spray bottle

1 tsp. aloe vera gel
3/4 cup witch hazel
15 drops lavender essential oil
10 drops tea tree essential oil
5 drops lemon eucalyptus essential oil

High Ledges

No comments:

Post a Comment